[nagdu] Saying goodbye to an old friend

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 17:19:56 UTC 2010

Saying goodbye to an old friend
Published November 25, 2010 Beth Finke , blindness , guide dogs ,
Hanni , radio , Seeing Eye dogs 29 Comments
http://bethfinke.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/saying-goodbye-to-an-ol
d-friend/

Best. Dog. Ever.
Note: If you link to WBEZ to listen to the piece, it's a little
confusing. Use this link, and then just wait, don't click
anything-the right piece should start playing. Don't pay
attention to the playlist that may appear.

A longer version of this blog post aired on Chicago Public Radio
November 24. I don't cry during the reading, but if you listen
closely you'll hear me get a little choked up. Hanni has given me
so, so much to be thankful for. I am really going to miss her..

My Seeing Eye dog will be 11 years old in February. Walks to the
Loop used to invigorate Hanni. Now they wear her out. She takes
long naps after our excursions, and she doesn't wake up from
those naps as easily as she used to.

It's time for Hanni to retire.

Back in 1990, it took two terrifying mishaps in traffic to
convince me to switch from a white cane to a guide dog. Now,
after ten years of side-by-side travel with Hanni, it's going to
take a lot to convince me I'll ever love my next Seeing Eye dog
as much as I do her.

Blindness dictates practicality, however. For Hanni's and for my
sake, I've signed up to return to the Seeing Eye this Saturday.
I'll be there three weeks, training with a new dog.

Dog-loving friends assumed I'd keep Hanni as a pet. Mike would
like to keep her. I'm just not sure I can devote myself to a new
Seeing Eye dog if Hanni is still around.

I can bring Hanni back with me to the Seeing Eye when I fly there
Saturday to train with my new dog. They'll find her a good home.
I'm just afraid I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my new dog
knowing Hanni was in the nearby kennel, waiting. The new dog
wouldn't stand a chance!

And so, I've decided. I'm giving Hanni to a couple of friends. We
visit these friends often, so when I get Hanni pangs, I can
always head over there for a hug. These friends don't have a dog
now, so they'll be able to give Hanni their undivided attention.
That's something she's used to. Getting attention, I mean.

I'll get to visit Hanni, but it's hard to imagine traveling more
than a couple feet to hug her. Or trusting a dog other than Hanni
to lead me around the city and keep me safe. I can't think about
that now, though. It's time to take one last walk. With good ol'
Hanni.

---------------
Comments

 1 Lolly
November 25, 2010 at 11:32 am
HI, Beth,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Hanni and your new dog as
you move through this transition.

When you sign up to use a guide dog, you understand this business
of transitions is part of the package, but that never makes it
any easier.

It's especially hard when you have a "heart," match as you do
with Hanni. Making space in your heart for the new pup to come
takes patience, wisdom, self-awareness and grace. May you find
these in abundance as you begin this journey.

The Seeing Eye has been helping people make this transition for
81 years. They are the best at what they do, and you couldn't be
in better hands.

God's speed!

 2 bethfinke
November 25, 2010 at 12:12 pm
Lolly, what a sweet, reassuring note! I have never heard the term
"heart match" before, but it describes my pairing with Hanni
beautifully.
Blog readers who want to know more about these transitions, or
about the use of Gide dogs in general should take a look at
Lolly's web site, it's smack full of great information. You can
link to "GuideBrooke Productions" here:
http://www.guidebrookproductions.com/

 3 Maureen Naset
November 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm
Beth,
I was in tears reading that it is time to retire Hanni. What a
wonderful dog she has been to you all of these years. Had you not
had already found her a home I would have loved to have adopted
her. We lost our 13 and 1/2 year old golden in August and I am
really missing having two dogs and our shepherd-lab mix Joey is
lonely without her. Good luck the next three weeks at The Seeing
Eye. What a great organization they are!! I look forward to
"meeting" your new dog when you start writing about her.
Have a beautiful Thanksgiving.
Love,
Maureen

 4 Sandra
November 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm
Beth,

Good luck in your new transition. I remember when I went to The
Seminar for Youth. I worked with one of their dogs for a few
hours, and even then I felt as if I was about to form a bond with
her - although I understand it takes many days, weeks, and even
months to get to know a dog guide well and form that special bond
that exists between dog and human. In any case, I'm sure Hanni
will be fine with your friends, and The Seeing Eye will help you
a great deal in your transition!

Happy Thanksgiving!

 5 becky
November 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm
Oh. My heart sank. This is not easy. Words can't begin to
describe the multitude of emotions that we go through at this
time. I recall very clearly when it is was time to retire my
first guide . then I tried to ignore it . then it was really
apparent it was time to retire my first guide! Sending love, much
love to you and Hanni and your next guide as you all transition
through this next phase.

 6 Deborah Lynn Jacobs
November 25, 2010 at 2:56 pm
How sad to have to say goodbye to Hanni. I'm glad you'll be able
to visit her.

 7 stuart
November 25, 2010 at 3:53 pm
Beth - your many readers today are listeners. Through your blog
and book we have learned about Hanni and her character, courage,
and winning personality. It is splendid she will be going to a
loving family who you know. I'm sure there was lots of interest
so they are very lucky.

Stuart

 8 Margo Gremmler
November 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm
Before reading your post today, I didn't realize seeing eye dogs
retire at (what seems like) such a young age. I'm so glad I could
meet and see you together at Trina's SCBWI workshop. And we'll
still read about you at home, from Safe & Sound.

You must be so thankful for Hanni today!
-Margo

 9 Eva
November 25, 2010 at 5:05 pm
Reading this make me sad  I can't imagine leaving a friend that
I've been with for so long. well, i mean, you are not really
leaving her, but not seeing her everyday.
However, I am sure you will find your new dog that is as good as
Hanni. I believe every Guide Dog has its own special
characteristic that you will fell in love with. : )

Happy thanksgiving. (it is snowing now on campus!)
-Eva

 10 Susie
November 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm
Wishing you a pleasant time out in New Jersey meeting your soon
to be best buddy. I know that this is a heartwrenching time for
you with the loss of Hanni's wonderful companionship. My heart
goes out to you, Mike and Hanni (and all who love Hanni). I'm
glad that your friends are going to take her and know that they
will take good care of her.
I'm certain that this will be a transition that you will sail
through with grace and humor.

 11 Bob
November 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm
Never occurred to me that service dogs would have to retire.
Thanks for enlightening me, happy retirement to Hanni, and good
luck with your new dog.

 12 Erin
November 26, 2010 at 1:58 am
I can tell you thought a lot about this. I wish you and Hanni
both luck in this new transition. I hope you will keep us well
updated.

 13 Benita
November 26, 2010 at 9:28 am
She's the greatest. I hope her successor looks nothing like her,
but is as good. She so deserves her new world of leisure. I will
never forget her running around in the special box at US
Cell-just being allowed to be a friendly, happy dog! Bye,
Hanni-here's a scratch between the ears from NY.
My nagging thought is this rhetorical question: How does she know
that this is for her own good?

 14 marilee
November 26, 2010 at 9:31 am
We are going to miss Hanni-bonnie. You two were a perfect match.
Hoping that the folks at Seeing Eye have found another perfect
match for you and Mike. Can't wait to meet your new buddy!

 15 Cheryl
November 26, 2010 at 10:03 am
On Thanksgiving we were thankful to be able to spend time with
Hanni before she heads to retirement. Beth took Hanni's harness
off and let her roam the house along with Ben and Julie's dog
Cooper. The grandkids asked who the new dog was? They never saw
her without her harness and didn't recognize the "new" dog
visiting that day. Hanni had a great time eating a special treat
that Minke brought and was able to eat the crumbs under the
Thanksgiving table with no scolding. The grandkids were given
disposable cameras to take pictures of Hanni that they could keep
in their scrapbooks. We're all thankful for Hanni and happy to
know that she will be going to a loving home.

 16 bethfinke
November 26, 2010 at 11:05 am
Thanks to all of you for your sweet and thoughtful wishes, it's
becoming more and more obvious that Hanni was loved by more
people than just me!
Cheryl is especially humble in her comment, it was *Cheryl* who
came up with that wonderful gift idea, providing cameras for all
of the kids to take pictures of Hanni yesterday. Each camera came
in wrapping paper covered with pictures of.DOGS, of course! Flo
found those homemade treats for Hanni at a craft sale and saved
them for the party yesterday.
Hanni was in heaven, and so was I. What a sweet, fun, happy
Thanksgiving send-off.

 17 judy ciambotti
November 26, 2010 at 10:14 am
Well, you may not have cried but it brought tears to my eyes
reading today. Love to Hanni, Mike and Gus, and to there
wonderful friends you have.

 18 Lauren
November 26, 2010 at 10:32 am
Oh Beth. It's a hard decision, and I speak from our family's
experience when I say that while the dogs do differ, each one
brings his/her own strengths, personality, and sense of humor
into your family. Whoever your new dog is, whatever s/he brings
to you, the comparisons you fear aren't likely. It's a little
like having another baby after your first. My mother always used
the metaphor of "opening a new room in your heart." I understand
that you've made up your mind, but I also want to tell you that
our family's experience of keeping the retired dog as a pet has
worked out wonderfully well for all involved. The old dog has a
few days of concerned confusion while you're off at Paw Camp, but
it subsides quickly. And when the new dog comes home, we always
feel like the old dog has the same feeling the rest of us get
when the neighbor has to go to work while we get to stay home:)
That part really is fun-and funny-to watch, the whole canine
version of "Have a good day at work" with the whispered giggle
into the paw that says "Sucker!" Good luck. Paw Camp is
physically, emotionally, psychologically draining. But you get a
new lease on life at the end.

Thinking of you-all three of you, it's tough on Mike, too-during
the transition.

Lauren

 19 Sandra
November 26, 2010 at 11:52 am
Oh, what a wonderful retirement celebration for Hanni. It's true
your successor dog won't be like Hanni, but I'm sure he/she will
have distinct characteristics you'll fall in love with! Again, I
wish you the best in this new journey!

 20 Cam
November 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm
I'll certainly miss Hanni, but it's nice to know she's going to a
good home and will have a relaxing, enjoyable retirement in a
loving home.

And what a great send-off party.

Sounds like you're doing better. Thanks for writing and sharing
with us. I know that's not always easy.

 21 bev
November 26, 2010 at 1:27 pm
Best wishes to Hanni. You've done all that was asked of you and
then some. Heck, you even co-wrote a book! Enjoy your retirement
and rest assured your buddy Beth will be in good hands with her
new doggie. You set the bar high Hanni and I'm sure your
replacement is up for the challenge. It's an exciting time
really. Hanni gets to rest after a job well done and a new little
doggie gets his big break after all the hard work preparing for
the day when Beth is ready to pick you up. Can't wait to meet the
new side kick.

 22 Mike
November 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm
Well, maybe Beth didn't cry on the radio, but I'm a freakin'
mess. And really, Beth is, too. We've been over the decision a
million times and I'm sure it's the right thing.

Benita-what Hanni thinks about this has also been on my mind. She
clearly has a sense that something's going on-related to Beth
packing her bags. Hanni always gets this way before a trip. But I
wonder if she'll feel abandoned.

Then I comfort myself with this: A few years back we traveled to
Poland to attend a friend's wedding. While it was possible to
bring Hanni, it would've been a big hassle. It was the only time
we traveled together and left Hanni with someone else.

Well, the someone elses were Carol and Pat, great people who have
a terrific place on Michigan Avenue. When we got home, jet-lagged
an all, we couldn't wait to get over to their place and see
Hanni. I sort of expected she'd sprint for us as soon as we came
through the door. Instead, she was happy to lie on a really nice
rug next to a really nice couch. She came over, let us scratch
her, and then went back to her place. We were chopped liver in
only five days:)

Which is all to say, I think she'll be unnerved for a bit, and
then say, "Hey, this ain't bad." And she'll be with two wonderful
friends whom we visit regularly.

Lauren-I know for a fact that keeping a dog can work. We know of
others who tell the same kind of story you did. I guess the short
of it is, under the right circumstances. My working situation is
pretty irregular right now and may require being away pretty
often sometime soon, Beth's career has her traveling all the
time, and I think this time around, this decision makes sense.
But given how I'm feeling at the moment, I'm pretty sure the next
one stays with us.

 23 L^2
November 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm
Sending lots of hugs to you, Mike, and Hanni. I totally
understand what you're going through, because I just did this
same heart-wrenching thing a few months ago. It was tough to
accept, but I knew that sending my guide dog to a "retirement
home" was the right thing to do for her as well as everyone else
involved. I know my girl is thoroughly enjoying life as a spoiled
pet with her new family, and I'm sure Hanni will too.
I also had the same concerns about working with a new guide dog.
However, my boy and I have been home from class for a month now
and I couldn't be happier with him. He's such a perfect match for
me that the transition to a new dog was easier than I expected it
to be. And I'm so grateful to finally be able to travel again
with a dog that is healthy, eager and happy to go, go, go!
Best of luck to you in training. I'm looking forward to hearing
about your adventures with your new dog, as well as how Hanni is
enjoying retired life with her new family.

 24 Siobhan Senier
November 26, 2010 at 5:04 pm
Bittersweet. We are thinking of all of you. And dang-Beth, we are
passing through Newark tonight en route home, wish we could whisk
you away for dinner! Looking forward to hearing all your new
adventures with your new companion.
xoxo

 25 Chris G
November 27, 2010 at 9:37 am
Hanni is off to enjoy her retirement. . .missing you as much as
you miss her I bet. But in a happy home it sounds like. Start of
a new chapter, and new stories with your buddy. Best of luck
today and at Seeing Eye.

 26 Carol & Pat
November 27, 2010 at 10:02 am
Hi Beth,
I know you and Mike will miss Hanni but you will always have the
fond memories. And, you may dream about her once in a while. Your
new dog will love you both and his/her new home and city. I will
be looking for you in Printers Row although I don't know if you
will be speeding by like you used to do with Hanni. We really
enjoyed her when she stayed a few days with us. Thanks for
letting us watch her. Best wishes. Carol & Pat

 27 Rachel Spencer
November 27, 2010 at 5:19 pm
Oh my SNIFF! I remember when you got Hanni, what a long time ago
that seems. Glad to hear she's going to friends and you'll be
able to visit, keeps this post from being downright
heartbreaking. Good luck with the new pooch : )