[nagdu] Walking Dogs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 18:50:40 UTC 2010

Yes.  And no.  /smile/  Walking both dogs while using a cane is especially
interesting, although Mitzi does leash guide by habit, so I can follow the
movements of her leash without having to worry a lot about tripping or
running into something.  When Mitzi is in harness and another dog is along,
there is no issue for either one.  Except that the other dog learns guide
dog commands and behaviors and wants to have a turn in the harness because
that is just way cool.  /lol/

The cane has never been an issue for me when I walk another dog without
Mitzi along, unless the dog is not leash trained and you keep having to free
your cane from the leash and reorienting yourself because you followed your
cane around when the leash snagged it.  /lol/  I've only taken Miss Daisy
out that way a couple of times, then I started doing leash obedience around
the house and yard.  Good grief!  She does really well now, but taking her
out for walks away from the yard is forbidden, and she's not my dog, so...
I believe that the entire neighborhood has decided that it's too upsetting
to them to see me walking her because I can't handle her and she might get
me hurt.  Sigh.  Good thing I don't find that ridiculous and insulting or
anything!  /smile/  Sharing a house with a chronically bored coonhound is
interesting, but we usually manage to get some good play in, complete with
singing and dancing.  Then I take my dog out (I can handle her, it seems,
but that's only because she's just a sweetheart and was born with good
manners) so I can give her time and attention without Daisy butting in.
/lol/

Let us know how it goes!

Tami Smith-Kinney