[nagdu] Guide dog dragged from SkyTrain sufferedserious injuries

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 16:38:15 UTC 2010

Steve and Mark,

Yes, it's hard to imagine how such a thing could happen in the first
place...  Only now that I'm over my shock and horror, I can't stop scenario
building.  Crowds and trains and trying to get ready to get off the train at
the right place when a whole lot of other people are doing the same thing...
Well, it's suddenly much too easy to realize that it could happen to us at
just the wrong split second...  Mitzi taking me off the train just as
someone bumps me or catches my purse or backpack or something...  Well, now
to get on to prevention and safety planning and paying more attention to
what I do when I'm getting off and on the bus.  Or elevators. Or...

You're right that we don't know exactly what happened to separate the dog
from his handler in the first place.  Was it a freak accident that couldn't
be planned for?  One of those handling lapses or loose habits that turned to
tragedy?  Malice or negligence of another passenger?

My heart goes out to the woman and her dog, either way.  I'm glad people
stepped in to help and that the dog will live and physically recover.  The
shock and trauma will take a whole lot longer to heal.

Tami Smith-Kinney