[nagdu] Re heels (shoes) and guide dogs

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 14 18:37:55 UTC 2010

I laughed out loud when I first saw this title, because it reminded me of my
late guide Rafael, who had a terrible habit of chewing shoes.  No matter
what I did to train or correct him around this, or where I put the shoes,
Raf liked nothing better than to turn over a high-heeled shoe and chew on
the heel!  Right in front of me, too.  Maybe he was telling me that I needed
to come down "a peg."

I've worn high heels almost every day since I got my first guide dog in
1977.

I try to avoid the true spike heel because it gets caught in gratings, and
imagine being a dog getting stepped on with a spike heel!  Unthinkable.

I don't like heels higher than 2 3/4 inches, because climbing the hills in
downtown Seattle in heels throws my posture off.  I do have a pair of tall,
three-inch high, chunky-heeled dress boots, but I bought them hesitantly,
and only because they fit my calves better than anything else I could find
at the time.

I think that wedge heels are best for someone worried about getting heels
caught on things, and I like them a lot.  Also, some wedge-heeled dress
shoes I've found have toes that turn up about an inch, which makes them more
comfortable to walk in and prevents tripping on cracks in the sidewalk.  I
do really love these turned-up toes, and I think they're cute.

When I buy shoes, I obviously have my guide dog with me, so I walk with him
in his harness as part of the trying-on process.  If I'm not comfortable
guiding in the shoes, I don't buy them.

I also take shoes of various heel-heights with me to guide dog school to use
on training routes toward the end of class.  That way, I add another
dimension to my route, and see how the new guide and I will function in the
real world for which I dress.  If the school won't support this idea, I
don't go there.  This isn't about vanity.  It's about the school and me
addressing the practicalities of what I'll actually be doing in life once my
dog and I cease being trainees.  I want a school that will enthusiastically
help me and my guide move seamlessly into our professional life together.

Platform shoes aren't entirely out for me, though the height of the platform
should be low to moderate.  The construction of the shoe determines how well
it lets me feel the terrain under foot, and some platform does protect (me)
against impact fatigue.  I check out tactile sensitivity when I try on
platform shoes.  And I check out sole construction and traction then, too,
for any shoe.

SAS and Rockport make nice dress shoes designed especially for walking.
These are usually loafers, dress flats, low wedges, or the occasional 2-inch
heel pump.  These brands have soles with good traction, too.

Lastly, keeping high heels in good repair is essential.  Once the heel tips
start to wear down, they're not as safe or comfortable to walk in.  If you
walk as much as I do, it's easy to wear down heels, and it can get expensive
to have them fixed all the time.  The best solution might be to walk
outdoors in flats, then don the heels at the office, keeping them in the
bottom desk drawer to be worn exclusively at work.

Elizabeth