[nagdu] Palm wasn't the first Guide Dog for the Blind to betrappedby SkyTrain

Danielle Montour dannivoiceangel333 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 21:07:32 UTC 2010

Well stated.  I agree.

Danni

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tamara Smith-Kinney" <tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Users'" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
Date sent: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:47:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Palm wasn't the first Guide Dog for the
Blind to betrappedby SkyTrain

Frightening!  I would really like to know more about the legal
ramifications
of this incident to SkyTrain, especially given that they were
warned of the
danger and apparently chose to do nothing.

For the woman to be having to deal with this all without an
advocate (is
that Canadian for attorney in this case or just someone to work
on her
behalf?) is even more horrifying to me.  Been there, done that,
after major
physical trauma and the attendant psychological trouble.  Dealing
with a
system that is all about the big piles of paper with print on it
is a big
enough problem, and seems to be a bar to getting assistance
since, well, you
can't fill out the forms and collect the paperwork, etc., and
verify that it
is the right paperwork, especially when it comes to the paperwork
it seems
to be up to you to collect from the people who caused the trauma,
which is,
well, you know...  That's bad enough.  Much extra time, energy,
etc.,  Then
redoing it all over, then...  Well, I hate to see someone else
having to
tackle that sort of thing solo while caring for a desperately
injured dog
while also carrying what can only be an unimaginably huge
emotional
overload...  Well, I hope she is able to find an advocate both of
the
attorney variety and the moral support/help with paperwork
variety.

Is it just me, or does anyone else catch themselves worrying
about how many
times this woman is going to be subjected to the "blame the
victim" routine,
especially if/when she takes on the legal challenges?  Or even
during the
investigation?  Whether it's her people want to blame or her dog
(which
would be worse, at least for me!), that seems to be the
inevitable
consequence of seeking recourse or assistance, especially when
you're a
minority deemed to be "less than" the norm...

Okay, not being helpful.  The most I can do from this distance is
to donate
a bit when my check arrives in the mail...  And
hope/pray/empathize/worry
for the near future for both Palm and his handler.  I am glad
Palm will
recover his physical health and that so far he shows signs of
weathering the
emotional trauma well.  I hope that both of them continue the
recovery
together and that they receive the support they need.

Tami Smith-Kinney