[nagdu] Going to Jail

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 15:46:53 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,

I am not going to jail really, but will be visiting a prison next week for a
school field trip. Now typically I would take Emma on a field trip, but we
are entering a high security prison. I have asked my professor to check it
out, the first reaction from the prison officials was, it would not be
allowed for me to go into the prison with my SED. Are there any laws or
requirements for such a thing. We will have to go through security and
searches upon arrival at the jail. Now maybe it does not make much sense,
but don't you think, if that anything would happen, I would be in greater
danger with my cane, then with my dog. Like for example if the prisoners,
were to do something, they could use my cane as a weapon. Anyone have any
experience with prisons and guide dogs?

Marsha