[nagdu] Going to Jail - and the ICU

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 03:01:11 UTC 2010

In law school, (1975-78), I worked for the St. Louis County, Missouri
Public Defender  through the school's criminal law clinic.  I went to jail
all the time to interview defendants.  The guards were skittish about what
my first guide dog, Ingram,  would do if he "got loose," but Ingram and I I
were always treated with respect by attorneys, witnesses, and defendants
alike.

Ingram, his successor, Fiesta, and I prosecuted criminal offenses in Seattle
for nine years, going daily to the municipal and superior courts, and
regularly to the Court of Appeals, and to the State Supreme Court.  We never
had a problem, except with the occasional snarky defense attorney who tried
to attack me through my blindness or my dog.  None of that succeeded, though
snarkiness can be a big part of  trial practice.  I practiced civil law for
seven years after that, but rarely went to court.

Later, as an Episcopal seminarian preparing for the priesthood, I trained at
several hospitals to be a board certified chaplain.  I regularly visited the
ICU's in every institution, but was never barred from taking my dog there.
I did keep him out of isolation units with communicable disease protocols in
force for everyone, and learned to protect him against upsetting situations
for him, such as emergency calls where people were belligerent or
distraught, where the patient was actively dying or dead, the adult cancer
unit, and the post-cardiac surgery unit, where he absolutely hated to go.

  Everywhere we went, the doctors and nurses loved my dog, seeing him as a
stress reducer for themselves and their patients.  Patients and their
families enjoyed his visits too, and we were often called upon specifically
to visit as a team to comfort a particular child or adult.  If a patient was
afraid of dogs, or claimed to be allergic, that patient's wishes were
honored.

There are a lot of smells in hospitals that can intimidate a dog, though, I
think, and the presence of highly-charged emotion, life-threatening illness,
and actual death,  (as in a Level I trauma center with many ICU's), can
truly put a dog's sense of his own and his handler's safety to the test.  My
dog Wilson taught me the limits of his own endurance, and accommodating
those boundaries by leaving him in a secure and comfortable place to work on
my own in the threatening situation increased my effectiveness in ministry.

I think that each guide dog and human team who wanted to would learn to
negotiate the conditions in jails and hospitals as best befitted their own
personalities and working styles.  My only caveat might be that there can be
some situations so intense that one's full attention has to be given to the
human encounter, and the guide dog present there might not get the
supervision and support he deserves and needs.

Elizabeth