[nagdu] Hospitals & Service Animals

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 16 16:07:42 UTC 2010

Cheryl,
    The circumstances you cite are certainly one of the exceptions. The ADA
allows the exclusion of a service animal when the presence of the animal
poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be
eliminated by a reasonable modification of policies, practices, and
procedures. If those entering the ICU or specific area in which all visitors
wear masks, gowns, and other protective barriers, it is not reasonable that
a dog would wear such protection. Also, if equipment necessary to support
life is in use, a service animal may be excluded. My point is that there is
no absolute rule; each must be decided on a case by case basis.

Fraternally yours,
Marion