[nagdu] buffets

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 16:57:27 UTC 2010

My method seems to be to plan, worry, fuss, fume, plan and analyze some
more...  Then get there and decide I'm not really that hungry because what a
hassle! /grin/

It seems to me that the most logical technique would be to put your dog on
heel, with your leash looped over your arm, on the side away from the buffet
table.  Then you can use the buffet table to shoreline your way around,
while your hands are free to manage plates, food, etc.

Using buffets with cane, I discovered that the above-mentioned stuff
management takes so much of my concentration that I can't get the cane to
behave properly and stay out of the way.  How I have not had a mortifying
buffet disaster, I do not know, but I can cut it pretty close.  /grin/

Also, if it's a busy buffet, there's all sorts of sound and movement
distraction to sort through and filter out, since everyone is making noise
-- except, far too often, the person in front of me that I keep bumping into
because I think they've moved ahead when they haven't.  Sigh.  At least I
have not managed to ruin any said person's clothes.  Yet.

So my hangup is that taking the dog around when I'm using both hands and
have only a little attention to left over to make sure she's not taking
advantage of my distraction would result unacceptable nose placement.  Of
poodle.  My nose does have a habit of hitting the protective glass, because
even though I can't see what's under it, I can't seem to stop trying to when
I'm paying attention to other things.  Old habits die hard, I guess.

Thus my method of sitting down and sipping water to nurse my wounded pride
of having caved in to letting someone get my food for me...  Maybe one day
I'll be brave enough to give it a go again -- probably in a more
professional setting where the crowd is not so wild and woolly.  /smile/

Let us know what you figure out and how it goes!

Tami Smith-Kinney