[nagdu] nagdu] Guide dog book on BARD

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Wed Oct 27 17:23:06 UTC 2010

I went to a camp for blind children in fifth grade.  They read us Light
a Single Candle which I remember to be about a girl who went blind from
glaucoma.  Two years later I got glaucoma, imagine my horror.  All I
could do is think of that book.  It was  horrible for me as a high
partial.  Fortunately, I kept good vision for many years but did have
identity issues because of that and other incidents.  What that has to
do with this wonderful list is that although my vision is minimal now, I
still feel guilty using a cane or considering a guide dog.  Just the
mention of that book makes me cringe.  I also read Follow My Leader.  I
had a positive experience with that book because the sighted kids in my
class and my older brother read it and I felt it helped them to view
blind people as people who could succeed. Brenda