[nagdu] Places A Guide Dog Can't Go-- Commercial Kitchens

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 27 18:10:23 UTC 2010

I'm glad someone brought up the idea of a guide dog user working in a
commercial kitchen.

I've cooked in church kitchens and, for several months, in the kitchen and
bakery of a Christian service community in the South that fed luncheon
guests every day and shipped confections nation-wide.  While working, I left
my guide dog in my living quarters, which were just steps away from the
kitchen.  I didn't feel the kitchen was a safe place for my dog, and the
bakery, which we swept every day because nuts and candy could fall to the
floor, was too much of a potential temptation.  It was also federally
inspected for health hazards on a regular basis, and I, a volunteer and
guest, didn't want to jeopardize the bakery's functioning by having a dog
there in case an inspector walked in unannounced.

I loved those cooking experiences, and have often thought such work would be
a great way to help defray the cost of post-graduate study.  Friends have
even encouraged me to go to culinary school.  But I don't know what I'd do
with my dog during work hours.  I wouldn't want to leave him unsupervised
for long periods or where others could interfere with him.

Any suggestions?

Elizabeth