[nagdu] question for the rest of this summer and possible otherhotplaces I may go during the year with Maxx

Cathryn Bonnette cathrynisfinally at verizon.net
Thu Sep 2 21:36:18 UTC 2010

Julie and Listers,

I took my guide dog with me into the water at Raging Waters in CA because
she was helping me and also having a blast as we both jumped through the
waves- though the staff person who observed it and objected clearly didn't
think so! Anyway, I had enough sight at that time to function in the tidal
wave ride without her, so I didn't push it. She waited with a friend while I
jumped a few more waves and got out. The other rides were obviously not set
up to do with a dog, and she waited for me on those also. As far as publicly
shared pools are concerned, I believe it is my responsibility to train my
guides to wait pool side for me as I swim. I teach them to expect to be
tethered to a rail of the steps going into the pool, and to wait quietly
until I swim up to them. It usually works, and I check in periodically to
make sure there are no issues with others around the pool, kids, etc.
bothering my guide. The main complication, depending on the dog's
personality, has been that the dog watches me swimming and begins to object
if I don't come over often enough to reassure her that I'm ok.     People
are generally good about not petting them - sometimes with 1 request from me
or a life guard.

Anyway, that's been my experience for what it's worth-
Cathryn (& Abby)