[nagdu] Re product reviews: nail trimmers

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Sep 2 21:45:27 UTC 2010

*> How did those of you who use grinders get your dogs to tolerate these >
instruments?  Weren't they afraid of the motor?  *
Bribery, or more nicely known as desensitization.  I gave them hot dog bits
while I introduced the nail grinder.  Monty didn't care about the motor,
Belle was afraid of it, but then again she's afraid of a lot of things.

*Is there any risk of injury > to fingers or paws?*
With the PediPaws I'd say you'd really have to be trying hard to cause an
injury.  If it touches your fingers it will feel hot but won't break the
skin or really cause even much of an abrasion.  The dog nails will get warm
if you grind on one nail for a while, but it's easy to rotate to avoid this.
I think if you had a dog with longer hair there might be a chance of getting
hair caught, but again I don't think it'd be very likely.

*> How did you introduce the grinder to your dog?*
showed it to her, gave a bit of hot dog
touched her with it, gave a bit of hot dog
touched her foot with it, gave a bit of hot dog
picked up her foot and touched the nail with it, gave a bit of hot dog
turned it on and started over at step one with more hot dog bits, by this
time she didn't care because hot dog is the bomb!

*> How do you know how much nail to grind at any one time?  *
When I first started trimming nails I just took off a tiny, tiny bit.  With
practice and learning your particular dog you'll be able to take off larger
amounts each time.
*How do you get a
> uniform length (I don't want to disrupt Alvin's balance by throwing off
> the weight distribution of his foot).*
I check the lengths against each other before I start and go for that same
distribution. I also try to grind on each one about the same amount of time,
which typically will take off the same amount on each nail.  Unless you are
way off with one nail half an inch longer than the others, I don't think
it'll make a lot of difference.

*> How often do you trim?*
Belle, about once a month.  Monty next to never...maybe three or four times
in the two years I've had him.

*> What's the best technique?*
> whatever you are comfortable with and works for you.

*> Is it best to start with a less powerful grinder, say the Pedi-Paws, and
> then graduate to something more powerful?*
Not necessarily, but if you're more comfortable with going that route then
I'd say that's the better choice.

*> Is diet a factor in nail growth?  Do grain-free diets produce a nail that
> yields more pliantly to the pavement?*
I think diet is a factor in nail growth, but I think there are a lot of
variables.  Both of my dogs eat the same thing, but their nails are
different.  Monty's are softer or pliant, but they are very big around.
Belle's nails are a lot more brittle and grow much faster.  >
HTH
Julie