[nagdu] Re product reviews: nail trimmers

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Sep 3 12:29:16 UTC 2010

> How did those of you who use grinders get your dogs to tolerate these
> instruments?  Weren't they afraid of the motor?

I've used it on 2 dogs, and neither one was afraid of it.  Treats do help,
as Julie says. Both my dogs are labs.

>Is there any risk of injury to fingers or paws?

I've never hurt the dog with the grinder.  I have to be careful of the paw
pad, and I have to pay attention to the nail getting hot.
I did grind my fingers recently, getting used to the new grinder.  It
didn't break the skin, but it did hurt for a while where I'd managed to
grind my nail cuticles.  It hasn't taken me long to figure out how to
avoid that!

I grind the nails until they're about even with the fur between the toes.
Well, that's how it works out.  I've been doing it long enough that I have
a feel for what I want.  I also try to angle the nail end up a little, on
the theory that it will be less likely to get caught in an escalator that
way.  I grind Ben's nails every Sunday, and Echo's every few weeks, since
she's not working anymore.
HTH.
Tracy