[nagdu] Cab drivers in DC pass blind people with guide dogs

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 7 12:39:10 UTC 2010

Tracy,
    Though it is not illegal to place such notes in one's record, if the
information results in a discriminatory practice, such as an unequal
benefit, the practice violates the ADA and state anti discrimination laws.
If we are to put an end to such discrimination, we must follow through with
the complaint process. If we want that process to truly work for us, we must
hold the owners of the companies responsible for the actions of their
employees. They are, after all, the agent of the company no matter what
their relationbship to the company, e.g., employee or independent
contractor. One of the reasons I proposed and worked for passage of
resolution 2010-25 was in an effort to have more immediate consequences for
acts of discrimination. Civil cases take years to settle and while the case
is moving through the process, the discrimination is still taking place.
Criminal remedies, on the other hand, result in an immediate resolution
either by citation or arrest but nearly always in a resolution!

fraternally yours,
Marion