[nagdu] Woman claims ADA violations at mall

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 13:26:40 UTC 2010

Woman claims ADA violations at mall
August 17, 2010 - 9:18am
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25
<http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=2029064> &sid=2029064

Portis carries information with her about the ADA law. Her dog
wears a vest that says the dog is a service dog. (Frederick
News-Post/Graham Cullen) Related Stories
Service dogs meet FSK mall staffers
Cost, lack of lots force builders outside Frederick Co.
Great Frederick Fair opens In 10 days
Discrepencies found In Bartlett's 2008 campaign finances
Frederick pediatrician's license is suspended Denise Portis of
Frederick didn't think twice about taking her dog, Chloe, with
her into the Francis Scott Key Mall last week to do some shopping
with her husband, Terry, and her daughter, Kyersten.

It's her right under federal law, and she had been visiting the
mall about two or three times a month without incident.

Portis is hearing impaired. She has an inner ear disorder called
Meniere's disease, which affects her balance. Chloe is a
certified hearing dog, trained to help Portis by picking up
objects, alerting her to sounds she can't hear with her cochlear
implants and helping her maintain her balance.

However, Portis said she was confronted by mall security on two
separate occasions -- on Monday and again on Saturday -- and
asked to leave the building because Chloe was with her.

"It was disheartening and humiliating that this happened twice in
such a short period of time," said Portis, who teaches psychology
and American sign language at Chieftain Institute in Derwood.

Francis Scott Key Mall spokeswoman Christina Steinbrenner said
Portis' experiences were isolated incidents and that mall
management is taking steps to remedy the situation.

"The FSK Mall is familiar with and understands the Americans with
Disabilities Act," Steinbrenner said. "We do welcome shoppers and
their service dogs."

Chloe, a Vizsla mix, wears a red vest clearly identifying her as
a service dog, and Portis carries information with her to clear
up any potential misunderstandings, including a copy of the
section of the Americans with Disabilities Act that allows her to
have Chloe with her.

"Every once in a while, I'll have accessibility issues, but once
I hand them a copy of the law, they're like, 'Oh, this is cool --
we just didn't know that there were anything other than guide
dogs,'" she said. "When they discover that the law covers much
more than that, they're usually very accommodating."

Portis said FSK Mall security personnel had little interest in
her information. During Monday's incident, she said the guard
would not even accept it at first, reiterating that she needed to
leave, taking it only on her insistence, but not looking at it.
On Saturday, she said the officer took it reluctantly after she
shoved it into his hands, glancing only at the sections she
pointed out to him.

When she asked to speak to the security manager on Saturday, she
said the guard told her that he was in charge and that she would
have to talk to him.

"I said, 'I would love to do that, because if I can get you
information that will help you train your officers, I want to do
that,'" Portis said. "It's not like he called me names or
threatened me or anything like that, but he was intimidating. I
was shaking and trying hard not to cry."

She said the officer tried to search Chloe on Saturday in
violation of the law, claiming that he was trying to look at her
certification tags. The ADA also protects home-trained service
dogs, and there is no requirement that the dogs be officially
certified. The guard eventually walked away after receiving a
call on his radio, Portis said.

Joe Swetnam, executive director of Fidos for Freedom, which
trained Chloe, said these types of incidents are common.

"It doesn't surprise me a bit," Swetnam said, adding that
education is essential to making people aware of the range of
disabilities for which people use service dogs.

Portis -- whose hearing impairment set in when she was 25 and
rendered her legally deaf by 37 -- said she couldn't even go
shopping before being paired with Chloe.

"I just wanted to be a normal mom shopping with her family, and
Chloe provides that for me," Portis said. "It's so normal for me
because Chloe makes my life normal, and to be singled out and to
be reminded that I'm different made me feel disabled again."

Swetnam said he spoke with mall General Manager Bill DeTora who
invited his organization to give a presentation to mall
employees. Portis said she received an e-mail from DeTora asking
her to contact him.

Portis said she isn't planning any further action. She just wants
people to be more aware of people with disabilities and their use
of service dogs.

"I just don't want anyone else to be treated the way we were,"
she said.

Copyright 2010 The Frederick News-Post. All rights reserved.

by Brian Englar @ The Frederick News-Post
[...]

Comments
"...and there is no requirement that the dogs be officially
certified."
Wright @ 7:27am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 That's a problem. Any person
could have their pet with them at any time in any location and
insist they are a service dog, even if they're not, and cause a
big problem.

It also changes the public perception of "service dog" such that
it is no longer seen as a necessary aid for people with severe
debilities, into that of household pets with over-zealous pet
owners who don't actually need a service animal but who want an
excuse to take their wittle poopsies with them everywhere. Such a
shift in the public consciousness can only be a bad thing.

The law really ought to change to require some sort of official
certification to verify the dog is actually performing some sort
of *necessary* service for a legitimate disability.
1190595
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
0
8 Agree Reply Abuse Vote  DUDE, from the article:
VA Mob Member @ 7:40am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 Chloe, a Vizsla mix,
wears a red vest clearly identifying her as a service dog, and
Portis carries information with her to clear up any potential
misunderstandings, including a copy of the section of the
Americans with Disabilities Act that allows her to have Chloe
with her

RED VEST IDENTIFYING HER

Portis CARRIES INFORMTION WITH HER.

What you want was done by this woman.

The "Rent A Cop" was a JERK and needs training or to be sacked.
If Mobs go to Townhalls then we should all be mob members
1190613
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190595
3 Agree Reply Abuse Vote  Private security officers
Quaker Emu @ 7:36am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 Unfortunatly in my
experience private "security officers" are almost always
policemen wannabes that can't cut it in a real police force. The
net result is that they have all the ego / power trip issues but
none of the training. Individuals frequently do things like make
up and apply "rules" on their own.

If I was her I'd file a lawsuit. It is the only way to make sure
that the mall management sacks the employees in question and
teaches the replacements to respect boundaries.
1190610
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
0
0 Reply Abuse Vote  "The FSK Mall is familiar with and
understands the Americans with Disabilities Act,"
VA Mob Member @ 7:38am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 This is NOT an ADA
issue.

"Medical Aid" animals have been required for YEARS before anyone
came up with the idea of ADA, it is probably more like a 40-yr
old federal requirement.
If Mobs go to Townhalls then we should all be mob members
1190611
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
0
0 Reply Abuse Vote  Congress
Quaker Emu @ 8:25am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 "This is NOT an ADA
issue. "Medical Aid" animals have been required for YEARS before
anyone came up with the idea of ADA, it is probably more like a
40-yr old federal requirement."

I'm somewhat familior with ADA and if I recall correctly congress
chose to rewrite the older laws when passing the ADA.
1190673
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190611
1 Insightful Reply Abuse Vote  State of MD has its own service
dog law.
John D. @ 7:47am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 It's called Jake's law and
does the same thing for people dependant on service dogs.
1190621
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
0
3 Agree Reply Abuse Vote  It's Fredneckistan what do you expect!
Stand Off @ 8:00am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 These High School
dropouts couldn't even make it through Lincoln Tech, so they wind
up as "Mall Cops" a bunch of Paul Blarts running around chasing
teeny boppers, and Heffers trying to impress them with the size
of the night stick. SUE THE PLACE.
1190644
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
0
0 Reply Abuse Vote  "Fredneckistan"
Vulcan @ 8:30am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 Good one!
1190678
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190644
0 Reply Abuse Vote  Mega Dittos
Juan Valdez @ 8:46am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 Will have to make note
of that!
It's just me and my burro, making the world safe for mankind.
1190697
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190678
1 Agree Reply Abuse Vote  Agreed
Sgt.Mom @ 8:43am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 With reading scores (and
expectations) what they are in the schools in Frederick, it's no
surprise that this woman was dealing with an obviously illiterate
individual. He barely glanced at the material she was showing him
because he couldn't read it. You can pretty much say whatever you
want to say about him here, because he can't read this either.
The malls in Frederick are horrible anyway. FSK isn't quite as
bad as the other one, which is a virtual ghost town, but it runs
a close second. Shop online.
Stand behind our troops or feel free to stand in front of them.
1190691
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190644
1 Insightful Reply Abuse Vote  FSK is nearby MSD
littleirish @ 12:17pm - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 The odd thing is that
the mall is about a mile away from the School for the Deaf and
from my understanding there a large deaf community up there so
that Mall wannabe cop should have known better...
1190942
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190691
0 Reply Abuse Vote  but in all fairness...
Rick R. @ 6:57am - Wed Aug 18th, 2010 and this is in no way a
defense for what happend; most deaf people dont use service
animals. This is the first time I have ever heard of it myself.
And I have no problem with their use of them. But once the papers
were given, since the vest was not enough of a hint, it should
have been dropped instantly.
1191387
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190942
0 Reply Abuse Vote  Funny you should say that
hartattack @ 12:50pm - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 Cause I was about to
give the lady major kudos for not entertaining a lawsuit but
rather trying to handle the issue without one
1190973
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190644
0 Reply Abuse Vote  Stan?
Tulkas @ 1:31pm - Tue Aug 17th, 2010
First, I should say I know little about native Frederickites
(Fredericans? Freddites?)

I can understand, given its rural setting, why it might be called

"Fredneck"

But why a "Stan"? Lots of Central Asians or something?
Interesting. I learn something new every day.
1191022
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1190644
0 Reply Abuse Vote  Tulkas!
Stand Off @ 8:54am - Wed Aug 18th, 2010 The reference
"Fredneckistan" is to the geographical remoteness, and the rural,
agraian, pheast lifestyle, oh and low education of the masses, in
this portion of Europe, for your edification. No reference to
Asian overloading. I hope you learned more today.
1191493
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1191022
1 Insightful Reply Abuse Vote  Mall Security Guards
Ronzoni @ 9:39am - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 They come in all types.
some are retirees, some are just trying to get by, and the job is
simple a "revenue stream", and little more. Regrettably, many
security folks should be left at patrolling empty warehouses, and
having little human contact, and other, who are personable, and
see their profession as a career should be in malls etc. It's the
job of the security company to know the difference.
take it to the limit
1190765
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
0
0 Reply Abuse Vote  Right On Track
Harold L. @ 5:47pm - Tue Aug 17th, 2010 Responses are
predicatble. The "barn door is always closed after th horse is
out". Same crap, diferent day. The mall is naturally apologizing
for their apprent oversight of rules and privileges. Two fine,
upstanding citizens, serving as security, doing their job to
protect that mall from people bringing in dogs. You would think
that this would not be an issue as they all should have been told
about the service dog allowances. If they don't know, then ASK;
instead of casusing additional problems and embarrassment in
exercising their authority. The problem children, probably
couldn't recognize a service dog or a service dog situation if
they fell over it. Their book probably say - "no dogs allowed". I
could go on for a long time, but this really is pathetic and hope
this lady gets her point across to all those badge wearing mall
protectors.
1191192
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
0
0 Reply Abuse Vote  The "barn door is always closed after th
horse is out".
VA Mob Member @ 7:04am - Wed Aug 18th, 2010 Dude (or Dudet)

Some times you don't know the door is open until after the horse
is seen outside.

Why on earth ANY mall should think they need to remind security
that Human Aid animals are allowed in is beyond me. I know that
the first FEDERAL Seeing Eye Dog law went into effect YEARS AND
YEARS ago. And yes when they did ADA the laws were re-written but
NO ONE should find them unexpected today.
If Mobs go to Townhalls then we should all be mob members
1191395
{
"Agree":"1","Funny":"1","Insightful":"1","Disagree":"-1","Offensi
ve":"-1","Troll":"-1" }
1191192
0 Reply Abuse Vote  I will boycott that place
1138 @ 10:52am - Wed Aug 18th, 2010 I pass by rather often and
will never stop there again to shop for anything, not one penny.

I still remember when cell phones were new, I had one of the
earliest that was small and portable - the mall mentality morons
would literally chase you out of a store threatening to call
management, security and police if you did not leave immediately.
That was for having a cell phone, not even for using it at times.
Other times I might take a call if it rang and then speak in a
normal conversational tone and volume level, kept it short
because it was not cheap - all pay by the minute back then (no
"plans" with minutes included). But the mall mentality MORONS
acted as though it was illegal. Hell, they did Not EVEN have a
policy about phones that they could produce for me whether posted
or even NOT posted. Nowhere was this supposed rule they were
enforcing.

Malls in general are for punk arse sluts and the thugs that chase
them and some other obviously not to bright women who need shoes
(obviously needed from all the walking to get from any one place
to another in those ginormous hell holes) since that's about all
they sell anymore in the places. They're a waste and they are
losing business, over charge for everything, treat people
horribly, and then they wonder why they're going out of business.
Morons.

Shop at the real stores not in malls. Better prices, convenience,
service, and I have never seen anyone chased out for having a
service animal or cell phone in any of them.