[nagdu] Italian greyhound guide dog?

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 18:01:51 UTC 2010

It is a myth that small dogs don't need as much exercise. This is so
not true. My boyfriend owns a miniature poodle. He thinks he 's a
lapdog, but at 25 pounds, he's not sitting on *my* lap. However, this
poodle needs just as much exercise, if not more than, a standard
poodle. He is very hyper and loves to run and goes for a walk at least
five times a day to keep him from going stir-crazy. I am very glad
that I am not in college while my boyfriend is for this reason,
because I take the pup for walks while my b/f is at school.

I think Rusty, the 25-pound miniature poodle could make a good guide
dog. He's large enough to bear weight, but not quite as big as many
guide dogs. He is extremely smart and very gentle. his biggest problem
is that when he sees a girl or young woman, he *must* visit with them.
He has three girlfriends in the neighbourhood already...it's quite
hilarious, but it also is irritating when I ant to take a quick potty
break and that's all.

I still don't see how an IG could be a good guide dog, though. They
simply aren't fair weather dogs, and they are so fragile. People who
know how to care for the breed have trouble with them, and while I
will give the man the benefit of the doubt on his knowledge of the
breed, I still worry about the dog's well-being walking in all weather
and all.

A small dog wouldn't be the right guide dog for me, since I also need
balance support, but I could see someone like a few friends of mine
having miniature poodles (yes, I think poodles make good guides *hugs
to Mitzi, whom I haven't met, but I am sure she does her breed
justice*) or another calmer small dog. I so couldn't se snappy,
talkative cocker spaniels doing th e work, nor ankle-biting
chihuahuas, but there are some brees that might do the job. How about
a bulldog? *grin*

~Jewel

On 9/8/10, Tracy Carcione <carcione at access.net> wrote:

> I wonder if some of the smaller breeds might be a good solution for those
> who don't take long walks, the folks who go from car to building and back
> to car.  Or for elderly people who don't walk very fast and are using
> their dogs for short errands, going to church, visiting friends, etc.
> Instead of trying to breed slow, non-energetic labs, the schools could be
> using a wider variety of breeds for the variety of people they serve.
>
> Not that I expect any of the big schools to try anything like that.  They
> tend to stick with the old methods.  Which is OK, but a little inovation
> could be interesting.
> Tracy

~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!
Treasure Chest for the Blind: http://blindtreasurechest.blogspot.com