[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: Cab drivers in DC pass blind peoplewithguide dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Fri Sep 10 12:22:47 UTC 2010

Hi to you, Sharon.

I'm Dan Weiner and several of us on the list have pups from Leader including
yours truly
.
I think there's even a lady on another list I am on who's going to be in
your class.
I look forward to hearing all about your adventures.

Well, no it isn't the norm, but it does happen more than it should,
honestly, so that's why we're talking about it.
The subject of access denial is one of the few things that make me come
perilously close to loosing my temper, so I do always end up writing
something when the subject comes up--smile.

It usually seems to be a problem in bigger cities, New York, Washington DC,
etc.
I think our task needs to be educating and yes, complaining or putting in
complaints or whatever when necessary and by adopting those two methods, and
yes, advocating for ourselves, we can hopefully throw this problem on to the
garbage heap of history.
In other words, it really shouldn't be happening at all--smile.

But don't even think of this stuff yet.

Just relax and enjoy the excitement and anticipation of getting a dog as it
can be quite a change in your mobility.
I can relate, though I don't have Ushers by any means, I was born with
hearing only in one ear so I'm very interested in mobility problems for
those who are blind and have hearing loss.
I am totally and irrevocably blind--smile.
Fortunately, my right ear has, as it were, stepped up to the plate and does
it's best to do the work of two ears--smile.
So, please don't hesitate to write to the list, or write me privately if you
like:

dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net

We're all not as combative as we seem...we're just like drunks in a bar, we
all have opinions and we all think we're right.

Cordially,

Dan W. and the Carter Dog