[nagdu] Off-leash dogs hinder my guide dog

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 13:47:57 UTC 2010

MY TURN | Off-Leash Dogs Hinder My Guide Dog
Posted September 29, 2010 at 12:01 a.m.
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/sep/29/my-turn-off-leash-dogs-
hinder-my-guide-dog/

BREMERTON, WASHINGTON - Reader submitted

Off-leash dogs from a guide dog user's perspective:

I am a visually impaired person who travels with a guide dog.

My dog has given me the freedom of mobility that the sighted
population enjoys. Unfortunately, this cherished freedom is being
threatened by people who let their dogs run loose. Dogs off leash
in public areas present not only a nuisance but threaten my dog's
and my safety by preventing my dog from competently performing
her job of guiding me in my travels.

Many people mistakenly believe that a happy dog is a dog running
free. Letting dogs run free, except in designated off-leash
areas, is not being considerate of other people, dogs on leash,
and service dogs. It also is not safe for the loose dog.

Many people are allergic to dogs, are afraid of dogs, or are
simply not dog people. Loose dogs urinate or defecate on other
people's property leaving the responsibility for cleanup to other
people.

A person who lets their dog run loose is not being responsible
for their dog's safety. Loose dogs are in danger of being hit by
cars, and ingest garbage, pesticides, and other poisonous
substances.

Please be a responsible dog owner by respecting other people and
their dogs, the safety of your dog, and people with guide dogs
and service dogs by keeping your dog contained on your property
or on a leash.

Shari Burns and her guide dog Cessna