[nagdu] Traveling Advice

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 29 17:08:44 UTC 2010

Hello Everyone:

I thought I'd share my thoughts as a new guide dog handler and a Canadian. In Canada it is in our best interest to inform the airlines that we are traveling with a guide dog since they provide a seat  for the dog for free. On the other hand, if we are flying with a sighted gide and guide dog, either thedog gets a seat for free or the sighted guide gets to fly for free and the dog must go at our feet. I will be embarking on my second flight with Bogart this month. I probably could have left him home since he would have only been home alone on the friday while my girfrind was at work but considering he hasn't been left alone that long yet I'm not sure it is a great idea so I will take him to my meetings in Ottawa.

I did chuckle at the airline informing me that I should be there an extra hour early (so 2 hours instead of 1 hour). Right, I'm going to go to the airport even earlier to make the time my dog must wait to be relieved longer. Don't think so. I will show up as I normally do and get the assistance to the gate etc that I normally got while travelling with a cane.

My girfriend had the discussion about telling a hotel ahead of time about the dog and said that we dont' need to. once we arrived we informed them that we had a guide dog and they were very helpful. For example, there was no safely accessible out door garbage. They told me to put it in the garbage in the lobby washroom and they would deal with it. The outdoor garbage was at the far end of the parking lot right beside the entrance/exit and I didn't think that would be safe to get too. It was easy relieving at this hotel since it was on a golf course so lots of grass. :) In ottawa I will be in a downtown hotel. Bogart has never been a fan of relieving on concrete so this should be intersting.

Part of the reason I'm taking him is educational for me and to see how he does for future reference on the flight and hotel. When we left him in the room on our holidays so we could go for  a swim and sauna he wasn't happy, barked for a minute or two but then calmed down. Since then he has been left alone at home more so, although it is obvious he doesn't like it or at least eagerly awaits our return, he is calm about it and just lies by the door.

Personally, I am interested in others sharing their thoughts on what they do when they travel and why but in the end we all have to make up our own minds and someone earlier mentioned, the best way is trial and error.

Gary