[nagdu] should guides be given a second owner if it doesn't work out with the first owner?

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Thu Apr 14 03:43:17 UTC 2011

Perhaps you're reacting to what you understand. Maybe some of us can offer
other perspectives.  We had a student in class that was sent home without
her dog. It must have been hard of both of them. I learned the dog was
placed with another student a few months later. This seems practical  to me.

You mentioned that Harvard (awesome name) has habits that have taken a long
time to break. If it's any concelation it generally takes six months to a
year to solidify the working partnership between you; the guide, and
Harvard; the dog guide. I've had Bernie about six months. I thought he had
finally crossed the bridge on not going spastic over other dogs. he did so
well at a doggie event last weekend. Well, tonight Bernie decided to go into
bouncing Jack Rabbit mode when another dog and person started to pass us.
All worthy relationships take time and a lot of personal investment.

Lisa and Bernie