[nagdu] Grave problems with Pilot Dogs program

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 18:05:53 UTC 2011

Rox,

Are we sure poodles aren't just curly dobes?  Or is it that dobes are
poodles without curls?  /grin/

Mitzi will follow well, but she makes it clear that this is not the way it
ought to be done.  She is a guide dog; therefore, she should be the one
guiding.  /lol/  Poodles in general seem to want to go ahead and lead the
way, and they're natural pullers, so much so that they can damage their own
tracheas pulling against the collar...  So it's best to use a martingale
harness or something on that order, or else a carefully managed Halti or GL,
especially while they're young and immune to such commands as "heel."  /lol/
I had quite the learning experience just with basic leash training on the
sidewalk, since my lifetime prior dog experience was with BC and Aussie
types.

Ah, well, Mitzi heels now -- even off leash -- but she makes it clear that
it is not her preferred way of doing things...  I think she and Laveau may
be secret soul mates.  /grin/  Wouldn't trade the poodle thing for the
world, except maybe the cost of haircuts.

Tami Smith-Kinney