[nagdu] should guides be given a second owner if it doesn'tworkout with the first owner?

Brittney N. Mejico brittneymejico at verizon.net
Sat Apr 16 01:27:18 UTC 2011

Tami
Thanks for answering my questions!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tamara Smith-Kinney
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:48 PM
To: 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
Subject: Re: [nagdu] should guides be given a second owner if it
doesn'tworkout with the first owner?

Brittney,

Thanks for asking!  There are a few others on this list, all of whom have
more experience than I, so I learned a lot from them.  I was shocked to
discover that I wasn't the only crazy nut to even contemplate doing such a
thing in the first place, and relieved to learn that the other
owner-trainers I've met now and gotten to know are just ridiculously sane.
/smile/

As for certification,.that isn't needed and doesn't exist, despite many
people's belief that it is.  The guide dog programs must be certified to
train and provide dogs, and maybe to raise funds, as well.  I don't know the
ins and outs there, but they have to meet certain standards, and so do the
trainers.  Many, if not most, will provide a certification of some sort to
their graduates, which I hear can come in handy in dealing with access
disputes.  /smile/

As for how I taught her...  The short answer is applied operant
conditioning.  /smile/  Clicker training is the most familiar method of
doing that, and I did finally get me one and now can't go anywhere with out
it!  I use positive reinforcement almost exclusively, which as it turns out
makes training even the complex behaviors and all the other stuff required
for guide work almost embarrassingly easy.  /lol/  If you consider 19 months
of 24/7 nonstop thinking and speaking and reading about and doing nothing
else easy.  Another thing I have noticed in other owner-trainers is that
they love it so much it never occurs to them to think of any of this as
work.  /grin/

Julie explains the process of devising and following a training plan much
better than I.  Basically, very basically, you start by thinking of the
behaviors and even attitudes that you want in your finished dog.  Then you
work your way backward to break each facet down to its most basic parts.
Then you start with the component behaviors and slowly build them into
behavior chains, then more complex chains and so on as your dog and you are
ready to advance.  Er...  That may sound clumsy the way I describe it.  It
actually makes sense once you start doing it.  /smile/

Training and then working around Portland, Oregon, I've been pleased to have
relatively few even minor hassles over access.  When I was training, I made
private arrangements with local store and restaurants so that I could bring
her in for socialization and training in those environments.  They were
really great!  I made sure to include in my pitch that I would remove my pup
if her behavior became disruptive, would pay for any merchandise she ate,
etc.  I also admitted that I was new to blindness and was still learning how
to keep track of the wiggly, bouncing, curious, busy mass of black curls at
the end of the leash and invited them to feel free to let me know if she was
doing something she shouldn't that I missesd.  I'm happy to report no
disasters, despite months of providing huge amusement to staff and customers
alike.  It's a good thing that poodle is cute, that's all I can say.  I
still have lingering trauma from the nightmares I had in which things did
not go so well.  /lol/

When we were ready to expand our activities because she was working well
enough, if in a still limited capacity, in harness, I did get a few minor
hassles but was able to resolve them on my own.  Whew!  Mostly, it was over
the lack of a green vest.  Portland is GDB territory -- Boring, where they
have a campus, is a suburb or close to -- and the green vests the pups and
guides in training wear are a familiar sight.  As is the GDB harness on the
teams in training.  They're almost entirely a lab school now, so the lab
guide is now what people expect around here.  Someone not too long ago was
exclaiming over my poodle (I didn't know they used those for that!) and went
right exclaiming about seeing a shepherd as a guide.  He didn't know they
used those for that, either.  /smile/  I generally hear the same
misconception as, "I thought they only used labrador retrievers for that."

So GDB's PR in the area and the familiarity of the populace with their pups,
trainees, new teams in training and the local working guides from GDB has
been a plus for me overall, while providing me with some amusement and only
a little aggravation about having to explain about the vests when I venture
beyond my home turf.

Tami Smith-Kinney