[nagdu] follow was Grave problems with Pilot Dogs program

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 18:45:05 UTC 2011

Lisa,

Isn't Bernie still pretty young?  I noticed with Mitzi that doing a follow,
especially through complicated environments, was trickier for her than I had
first imagined it would be.  She would seem confused or even grumpy at
times, and I was new enough to trying to figure out how to play my role to
really grasp what she was struggling with and help her figure it out.

So I finally figured out that she was attempting to follow the person in
terms of direction, while still guiding me and picking safe routes, while I
was making things more difficult for her by being an annoying twit who
couldn't mind my dog if she bit me.  /lol/  Once I caught on and thought
about, I realized that she was absolutely right.  The shopping assistant
knows how to get from the bananas to the milk by the most efficient route,
even if it involves a detour past the paper towels...  What the shopping
assistant does know,  beyond applying intelligence and intuition, is how to
lead a guide dog team through that route -- or even cane user -- through
that route since we travel it differently than a sighted shopper would.
Mitzi's approach was actually the most sensible and sound one!  I hate it
when I'm reminded that my dog is that much smarter than I am, but it's a
good thing under the circumstance.  /lol/

Anyway, just as I would follow my cane while following our shopping
assistant, I started following my dog while she followed the shopping
assistant.  The result was not the step by step observance of the exact
route that I had originally envisioned, but it did work better.  She
observes the path and direction and location of the human she is following,
then chooses the best way for us to arrive at the same destination.  For
instance, if the assistant breezes through a narrow aisle, Mitzi will detour
to reach him/her by detouring to another aisle to get to where he/she is
taking us.

Maybe that's what Bernie was trying to do?  Or is he still trying to figure
it out on the fly?  It may not be the same for all guides, but I think the
dogs do not find follow as easy as we think it is for them.  /smile/

Let me know how future adventures go!  Since I'm not in a position to jaunt
around San Diego myself (love that city!), it gives me a bit of a thrill to
know that people I know are down there doing just that!

Tami Smith-Kinney