[nagdu] UK: Heartbreak' as bitten Newport guide dog must go

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 20:24:13 UTC 2011

Tracy,

Yeah, I always wonder about the "can't" in these sorts of articles.  It
seemed to me he did mention having cane skills and that he was using them to
go about his daily life, but he was out of practice using the cane full time
so didn't get out as much because travel was currently taking so much extra
effort and energy and he was moving more slowly so had less time.  So he was
curtailing some of his activities and, thus, feeling like a prisoner at the
moment.

So that all adds up to what?  You got it!  Poor blind guy can't do a thing
with a dog to lead him around by the hand.  Now he's sad.  Sigh.

Whereas, here in America, we're just cutting and slashing away at any kind
of protective laws we might still have and ripping money away from those who
are supposed to be enforcing them...  We're not spending it on
infrastucture, safety or schools...  I spend a lot of time, actually,
planning each and every day to try to figure out a way around the results of
all that in a good-sized urban area so that I do not have to be a prisoner
in my own home because of how unsafe so many aspects of what's around me has
become...  It's getting to where people who live along our stretch of road
are choosing more and more to just stay home because it is no longer safe to
even drive a mile down to the store.  So we stand around comparing notes and
toting up the number of ambulances and body bags we've all seen (well, they)
this year as opposed to how many last year...

Needless to say, we plan to relocate when we can, but with working salaries
dropping and employers free to treat their people as they will, along with
no COLA in SSD and still being much to rich to even look at the social
safety net...  We feel a little grim.  We're getting there, but...  Ugh.

So glad I don't live in a third world country!

Tami Smith-Kinney