[nagdu] dogs in harness and ID's

Jennifer Piening pienings at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 19:19:55 UTC 2011

Greetings!  I'm wondering if there are times when state laws can preempt
the ADA.  I had a strange experience a couple of months ago.  My
husband, who has a service dog, and my guide dog and I went to this
restaurant in Michigan, ironically called the Stray Dog Cafe, and the
manager approached us and said that Michigan had a new state law
requiring us to show ID that our dogs are indeed working dogs.  I didn't
have my ID with me, because I've never been asked to show it, and it
doesn't fit in a card slot in my wallet. My husband doesn't have one for
his service dog, and his dog doesn't wear a vest either.  I was kind of
dumbfounded, and said with surprise that I'd never heard of that
particular law before, and that I wanted some information explaining the
law.  The manager didn't have any information available, so we just sort
of stood there, blocking traffic, and said that we had been to many
places in Michigan and had never been confronted with this sort of
treatment. She eventually gave in and let us eat at the restaurant,
which was over priced and not very good, but anyway...  I'm wondering if
anybody has heard of such a law. Can states make their own laws that are
in conflict with those of the ADA?
      I'd also like to know more about the toileting and paw power
harnesses.
      Thanks for any input and take care.
      Jenny