[nagdu] nagdu using 911 for access denial?

Abigail lanieraf at email.appstate.edu
Wed Aug 10 15:45:58 UTC 2011

It's funny this should be a topic on the list this week because I had an issue with accessibility at a Thai restaraunt in Charlotte NC on Monday. I made many attempts to explain the ADA to the manager with little success. I don't live in Charlotte and was just visiting for the day.
While I was in training with Alexa at GEB they had instructed us to call 911 in instances like this. Granted, it goes without saying that most Asian owned and run businesses are very uneducated about service animals.
To make a long story short, I did call the police. We also ended up eating there. I was some what insulted by the way in which the wait staff and manager continued to talk to me and my friend very condescendingly .
I felt like I did have responsibility to educate the employees. I plan to mail them some information on working animals and the ADA.
What advice does anyone have instead of calling 911 in a situation like this?

Abigail
Sent from my iPhone