[nagdu] NFB and Dogs

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sat Aug 13 17:19:25 UTC 2011

It is a myth that NFB hates guide dogs.  I think there was a time when the
leadership and many members of NFB didn't like guide dogs because they used
to think that the dogs were an easy way out of knowing how to get around
totally on your own without the use of another's eyes, just you and your
white cane.  They believed that the use of the long white cane was the only
way to go.  NFB has the right idea about cane use - you need the skills you
learn with the cane to sucessfully use a guide dog.  NFB's cane training
can't be beat!

As you know, the public has misconceptions about exactly what a guide dog
does for us and how we work with the dog.  they think the dog does all the
mobility work and we hang on for the ride.  I think some of the NFB
members - or members of any blindness group - have had the same ideas about
guide dogs as the general public has.

I've been around the NFB sinse the mid ninties and I never saw NFB as an
organization reject guide dogs.  There was an issue of the Braille Monitor
in October 1998 that was a guide dog issue.  Many of the articles were
written by people who didn't like dogs and some were quite negative towards
guide dogs.  But, these were the opinions of the writers NOT the
organization as a whole.

When I have gone to conventions, I found the CANE users to be a challenge to
get around with as they had their very long canes all the way out so they
got tripped over.  I found guide dog users who didn't pay attention to what
their dog were doing.  I just see this as inconsiderate behavior on the part
of both some cane users and some dog users and not the whole group.  There
are many good, respectful cane users and dog users there.

Now, hope this will dispell the myth of NFB's dislike of guide dogs.  Now,
if we can get rid of the NFB's homophobia.....hmmmmm?

Lyn and Landon