[nagdu] Dogs Off Leash

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 17 18:59:34 UTC 2011

Hi Tracy:

Well, Bogart is one of those dogs who looks for dogs who like to play aggressively. He always comes back covered in dog saliva and probably did his fair share if sharing his as well. He goes up to other dogs, barks and turns to run. If they don't run after him he barks at them again and lets out his ever so embarrassing howl. "Please pleae play with me!!"  Oh brother. I have found him to be very dog wise though. My girlfriend watches him when she is with me and points out when he is approaching a dog who doesn't look interested or has it's hackles up. Bogart doesn't do any of his foolishness with them but just saunters off to find a real playmate.

I've learned to listen for the different kinds of snarling/growling/barking etc that means play and that means trouble. I think a lot of this comes down to your dog and your dog parks too. One of the things we like about our dog park is that it is in a good part of town so most of the people there have well trained well behaved dogs and so it is friendly. The odd time I've been to dog parks in other parts of the city that, shall we say is not as well to do, I have found there to be more aggressive dogs and/or owners who don't look like they really have control  over their dogs.

It is about knowing your dog, knowing your environment and assessing the risks. Not to harp on the poodle thing over and over again, but poodles generally are very loyal dogs and like to check in. This means that they go off running about but then come galloping across the field to run into you and say I'm still here, glad to see you are too.

Last night Susan and Iwent to the dog park after work since it is still nice and warm here and found a sunny place to sit in the big field and just enjoyed all the dogs, as did Bogart. :)

Gary