[nagdu] Discrimination by AssociationRe: Doctor bars guide dog from waiting room

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 19 12:33:19 UTC 2011

Dear All,
    As to the issue of discrimination by association, Section 302(1)(e) of
the Americans with Disabilities Act states

Association. It shall be discriminatory to exclude or otherwise deny equal
goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, accommodations, or
other

opportunities to an individual or entity because of the known disability of
an individual with whom the individual or entity is known to have a
relationship

or association. (42 USC 12182)

This means that, if you go to a restaurant accompanied by your guide dog
with three other people and are denied services, each of the individuals in
your party have been discriminated against.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala