[nagdu] School contracts

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 21 01:46:55 UTC 2011

Larry,
    One practice I have noticed is that of presenting the agreement at the
end of training. at this point, the consumer is placed in a very difficult
situation. Either they sign the agreement or they don't go home with their
dog. This seems to present a bit of a predicament. I suppose that, if a
training program were to attempt to enforce the agreement, the consumer
could argue that it was signed under duress.
    As to the fundamental question of ownership, I have not heard of one
good argument supporting the practice of the training program retaining
ownership. Those programs that transfer ownership upon completion of
training provide just as effective follow-up services as those that retain
ownership. The assertion that it is meant to prevent abuse seems to imply
that blind people are more likely to abuse their dogs than sighted people.
Every jurisdiction has laws to protect animals from abuse, yet training
programs seem to contend they are better prepared to deal with abuse than
law enforcement. I am of the opinion that the retention of ownership by the
training program is paternalistic and custodial.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala