[nagdu] Mobility and Dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sun Aug 21 10:55:33 UTC 2011

I have news for you, the dog and cane are different as to the feedback and
methods and it's very possible that someone can be quite effective with one
and not the other.
And so what if your co-workers say:
"He sure gets around better with the dog".
Do they pay your rent and are you just crushed if your co-workers, who know
nothing about blindness, say things like that?

I certainly do have problems if I have to use a cane with some things.
I do use my cane when I feel I shouldn't bring my dog for whatever reason,
but there are just times a dog beats a cane paws down, sorry if that rankles
but I believe it's true.

When at work I had to walk through this big parking lot and my dog got used
to the route so well that it was clear sailing.
When he was sick I had great trouble navigating this parking lot with a cane
basically because in order to figure out my way I had to follow the backs of
cars and pretty much figure out when to make turns etc. where there wasn't
anything to follow.

If I thought I were just as effective with both methods I would maybe not
want a dog even though I love them more than I can say.

So yes, I'm better getting around with a dog in some circumstances and
perceptions of me because of that at this point in my life mean nothing to
me.

Now, just to be fair, I could see the opposite, maybe someone would do
better with a cane than a dog because they just can't get used to it or it's
just not for them and that's perfectly okay.

Cordially,

Dan and Carter