[nagdu] Mobility and Dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sun Aug 21 17:15:27 UTC 2011

You are right in that there shouldn't actually be a debate, whatever works
for you.
But, I personally think a dog is better for the right person.
A dog does things a cane cant, plain and simple.
So that's my two cents, but I do reiterate my agreement that there really
shouldn't be a debate and we'd all be happier if we learned to accept each
other.

It seems that in the blind community we've gotten to this stumbling block
that we feel like we should say things like "oh, I can use a cane but I like
having a dog".
What's wrong with those of us who say that  not being perfect at some things
is okay...some people read Braille better than others, some people really
feel more comfortable with technology.  I just don't believe in saying
someone "should" do something, it's whatever method they find most
effective.  Some people just can't orient themselves well no matter how they
try, how many sighted folks have I met who say  Oh, I don't know how I'd do
it if I were blind 'cause "I have a lousy sense of direction"?
We've just gotten in to this way of thinking that only one way is correct.

When I hear people talk about others who don't get around well it's almost a
type of scorn I hear, things like "they can't get out of a paper bag".
How do you think they fell?  Do you think that these guys don't know they
have problems?

Anyway, back to canes and dogs: There
 are four methods for the blind to get around that have been tried and
tested:
1. human guide (sighted guide)
2. Long white cane
3. Guide dog dog guide)

4. Stay at home and just don't go anywhere--smile.

Oh, there's a fifth, I know one or two blind people who use neither cane r
dog but I find it an extremely poor choice and I've stopped having the
discussion with these people because it makes me angry--smile.

So, that was my two cents that with inflation is worth maybe a half penny
and remember, just my opinion so no offence meant to anyone.

Dan the man, Carter the Dog