[nagdu] Dogs and Mobility

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 19:21:17 UTC 2011

Larry and Sheila,

I let myself get a little spoiled by the dog, so then when I go out on
familiar routes to practice my cane O&M, I'm constantly surprised by
everything. /lol/

For me, what I'm practicing most, in addition to ins and outs of
technique I don't want to lose, is the problem solving. So it makes it
kinda fun and good refresher to just walk around the block being so
startled by everything that it's a whole new place! Also, the
time/distance difference means I'm lost by the first turn. /lol/ Even
when I just grab the poodle and my cane for a casual leash walk for
fresh air and exercise, I don't use the cane the same way because she
just kinda leash guides so she doesn't have to put up with all the cane
swinging and my nagging and squalling when I run into things. /lol/ So I
have to remember to ditch the dog completely every now and then so I can
remember how to use the cane and find my own way out the front door.

Tami