[nagdu] update: food issues

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 25 21:42:25 UTC 2011

My first dog was a German shepherd, Ned, from Seeing Eye, whom I had had
from Aug 1972 to July 1984. He was only 13 months old when I trained with
him, which is rather croggling.

Anyhow, he was an unenthusiastic eater, tho at home he usually finished his
two meals. Back then, at Seeing Eye, they were fed a mixture of Purina
kibble and raw ground horse meat. We had to knead, by hand, the kibble into
the horseburg, to get our scent into the food and help in the bonding
process.

We were advised, at home, to replace the horse meat with quality canned
food, like Alpo. Away from home I had a great deal of trouble getting him to
eat. I tried to eliminate the canned food, but he would not touch plain
kibble. I tried the pouches of moist dog food, but that didn't help, either.
Sometimes putting a piece of cheese on top of the kibble would get him to
start eating,

When I trained with my next dog, Gerry, a yellow lab, Nov 1984, they had
changed to straight Purina. He was a ferocious eater, eating anything and
everything, with great enthusiasm, and just inhaling, without chewing.

My last two were/are goldens, who are reasonable eaters.

After following this ark, I gather that Ned was normal for a German
shepherd.

Ed Meskys