[nagdu] Neighbors mourn death of blind pedestrian; his service dog will recover

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 26 13:56:29 UTC 2011

    It is often assumed that, when a blind person is involved in an
accident, it must have been the blind person's fault. I was at a restaurant
once with my ex-wife, who is sighted. She spilled her water and the server
came to the table and said, "don't worry about it, sir, I'll take care of
it!" My ex-wife looked at her and said, "He didn't spill the f-ing water, I
did!"
    Another time, I was crossing a driveway at a busy grocery store when a
driver, looking left for traffic didn't even see me and pulled out right in
front of me. My dog stopped abruptly and blocked me as we were walking at a
very fast clip. I tripped over him and fell against the vehicle. I had a
couple of choice words for him, as well. You know what he said? "Blind
people shouldn't be let out of their homes alone!" My reply? "Neither should
a**holes!"
    My point is that neither of these accidents were my fault, but were
blamed on me. Why? Because I'm blind! I admit I have spilled a water or two,
but never a beer! That would be alcohol abuse!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala