[nagdu] Russian dogs and escalators

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sat Aug 27 17:01:07 UTC 2011

Well, first of all let me add my warmest wishes and hopes for a safe time to
all those in the zone that might be effected by Irene.

Well, I just spoke by Skype with a lady who used to have a guide dog in
Russia.
She teaches at a rehab center there.
 I remember that in 1995 when I went there there were a lot of access
problems in the subway and the main excuse used to deny access was the
escalators there.

I remember the escalators really were old and clunky and long and fast and I
never did feel that happy using them.

Anyway, she said that now the dogs there are worked on and then they sort of
wrap this type of coat  or vest around them with a handle, I kid you not,
and when they come to the end of the escalator they lift  the dog up by this
handle  strap..
Well, heck, you could lift them up by the harness handle but somehow they've
come up with this.

The dogs there weren't trained on escalators at least when I was there and
it was a big pain to to fight for access.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

I thought it was unusual so I  decided to write about it to the list.

Dan the man, Carter the nut who'll ride escalators though he'd just as soon
not