[nagdu] Questions About Guide Dogs

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Wed Aug 31 02:55:09 UTC 2011

There are times when I use a cane, or use a cane and heel my dog, but really, it's more than 90% dog by now for me. I remember having the same misgivings though. And, really, coordinating six legs and two brains does work, and I haven't fallen off a curb or down a flight of stairs yet. Your dog will stop at curbs and steps until you find them, and will then continue upon your direction to do so. I hesitate to use the word "command", because, even though we call them "commands" (forward, left, right, and so on), they're really requests. The "Forward" isn't really a command, as in, "Forward, let's go, no arguments". Rather, it's "Forward, assuming it is safe to go forward". So it's sort of more like a request than a command. It's one of the things that separates a guide dog's training from lots of other training, the so-called "intelligent disobedience". In our work, the dog has a certain amount of autonomy, a certain amount of latitude to make decisions that just isn't the case with a lot of training where"Sit" really means "Sit".

Yes, it really is a big adjustment, and a lot of adjustments. Not only do you have to learn a whole new way to look at landmarks and clues and orienting yourself, but you have to learn to give up a little bit of control, and to trust. Easy to say, hard to do, and it's something that I, certainly, struggle with, especially at first with a new dog. Fortunately, dogs are flexible. Also fortunately, the dog is also learning to trust you, so it's not all just you adjusting.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY