[nagdu] Questions About Guide Dogs

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 31 19:44:08 UTC 2011

Hi:

Another thing I was thinking about with regartds to getting a dog is about time. As I walked to our rapid transit train and thenwalked from another stop to Subway and then to band practice, I was sort of laughing to myself since, when I had a cane, I wouldn't have done at least half of this walking. So much of my walking with Bogart guiding me is things like our walks after work which are really done to get him some exercise and work guiding me. Yes he guides me when I'm off to do things but I just find it funny that I'm off to go to do things more often because he needs to go out anyways, might as well go to the grocery store or whatever.

I'm not sure what others time frames are with their dog but Bogart and I do a walk around a couple of blocks in the morning with him on leash and me using my cane where he gets to sniff and do his business. Around lunch time we go for another walk with some in harness and then about a block on leash for him to  do hsi business. If I'm at work we do a walk after work. The shortest length is about 15 to 20 blocks (about half an hour) and then we do our around the block walk again before going to bed. I also try to get bogart to the off leash park at least a couple of times a week for a good run and playing with other dogs. If not an off leash park then fid a walk/hike where he can be safely off leash enjoying the trails like we do.

I can almost guarantee that everyone on the list deals with their  dogs needs differently but this is certainly to be considered when thinking about getting a dog. People told me I'd get used to it and fit it around my life and that is mostly true. Sometimes I do wish Bogart would just go and walk himself but I think also wishes sometimes I would just take is pee and oops outside and not bother him withthe wind and the rain. :)

However, no matter what my rational mind says, my girlfirend says she can see how much Bogart has brought into my life (as well as hers) and how much I have grown to love him over the past year. We have our moments when I think he is an idiot and when he thinks I am as well but generally we trust each others decisions and keep moving forward.

Gary