[nagdu] Questions About Guide Dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 03:15:40 UTC 2011

In some countries the blind person does use both cane and dog together.
In the U.S. this is only done very seldom and for specific reasons.  If
you need to teach the dog to turn in at the third driveway it can be
helpful to use a cane to show the dog exactly where you want him to
turn.  Once the dog understands the cane wouldn't be used anymore.  I
think some programs also have the handler check the location of the edge
of the road when working sidewalkless.  I will sometimes get my cane out
when the dog is trying to communicate something that I'm just not
getting.  This was more frequent in the beginning.  I haven't done this
in some time now.

A dog will take you around obstacles so you don't trip on them.  If it
isn't possible to go around he will stop.  You first use your foot to
check out what's there.  If that doesn't find anything then a hand out
to check for overhead obstacles can be useful.

At the very first it may feel a bit awkward as you find your rhythm with
the new dog, but it shouldn't take very long at all before the two of
you move easily and safely together.  Maybe dancing is a good analogy.
At first with a new dance partner you don't move as smoothly together,
but it doesn't take very long before your movement together is fluid and
effortless.

HTH
Julie