[nagdu] Questions About Guide Dogs

Shannon L. Dillon shannonldillon at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 23:33:27 UTC 2011

Hi Tatyana:
My name is Shannon and I have a German Shepherd guide.  She is my first guide. I've had her for five years and a few months.

I wanted to respond to your message because I thought I would have a lot of difficulty with the transition from cane to dog.  Or, maybe I did have difficulty with the transition from cane to dog.  I am a good cane user.  I love my cane, and still love my cane, and I definitely use it in places.

I think it took a while for me to automatically trust the dog rather than to want to reach out with my cane and feel.  My automatic response was to want to use a cane to reach out and feel things.  It took a couple of months definitely.  I learned the hard way a couple of times.  I was in a place where I was sure that I knew exactly where the curbs were.  Well, I was a little farther away from the building than usual, and I told my dog to go forward, and she wouldn't, letting me know that she thought there was a curb there and she wouldn't move until I found it with my foot.  And I didn't believe her.  I don't know what I was thinking, but I dropped her harness and figured that I would lead her past whatever was causing her not to move.  Well, quite unknown to me, the there was a step there that I didn't know about because it was in a different part of the path than I usually walked, and so I tripped down the curb.  I remember it hurting a little. I probably had heels on because I was walking to work.  I twisted my ankle a little. So that was a wake-up call that really helped instill in me the need to pay attention to my dog.  She did her job right.  I just wasn't paying attention.  So, I don't know how many new users do something quite as dumb, but it was a good lesson for me.

I also remember being at a camp like a summer camp, for a networking weekend, where there were paths among grass, and soem of the paths weren't that wide.  I had only had my dog for a month, and I was used to working in regular streets and sidewalks, and in airports and buildings (because of my job), but I hadn't had very much experience working her in a setting where there were irregular paths scattered among grass.  I honestly just used my cane to find the paths and lead my dog.  I got some negative feedback for doing it, too, from other people at the camp.  They asked if I had gotten a guide dog for a pet or if I was planning to use it.

Today, being more experienced, I don't know if I'd do it the same way.  I haven't been back to the same place so I can't evaluate it.  For a long time, though, I carried a telescoping cane in my backpack, or my briefcase, or my purse, and if I felt nervous or frustrated, or if I wanted a landmark to make me feel better, I used my cane and led the dog.  I don't remember how often I actually used the cane and led the dog, but I can tell you that for me, in the beginning, I felt a lot better knowing my cane was somewhere I could get to it. So you may want to consider that to see if that would make you feel more comfortable.  Also, the other important thing to know is, I'm not the only one who does this.  I didn't know that at the time.  I sort of felt like I must be weird or something.  The truth is, since then, I have known other people who choose to use their canes in some circumstances and their dogs in others, and it's really about what works for you.

SHANNON L. DILLON