[nagdu] Questions About Guide Dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Wed Aug 31 23:58:44 UTC 2011

Well, Shannon, you are right in that you said whatever works for you is what
you should do.
As usual, people will say all sorts of things, if using your cane on the
path is right for you than do you really care what the geniuses at your camp
say?
I went through this a lot, that I'd real be angered, frustrated, bothered,
or hurt by what people said.
After all, I'm sociable and I like people and like interaction with them,
when things are negative therefore it feels bad.  But now I say to myself
"do they own me, they're not in my body, what the Hell do they know".
It is hard but that's the only way to approach it.

However, I can't go along with saying "I love my cane".
In my extremely humble and always perfect opinion--just kidding guys--I
think the cane is a stick.
A tree trunk would do just as good a job.
I am grateful that there is cane training and training that is better than
it ever has been, the same way I'm grateful for computer adaptive software.

I do love my dog though, there is an emotional bond.  There are some people
who can't or don't want to deal with that and I can understand that, of
course, and I respect it.

I use my cane on occasions but I really love using my dog.
I am excited to take a walk with my dog and see his work and interact with
him.  I also feel much freer taking fast walks with my dog than I ever would
with a cane.

Anyway, the point being, I was not bothered by the transition in the
least--smile

Dan the man, Carter the nut