[nagdu] dog winterization

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Sun Dec 4 17:05:55 UTC 2011

Robert,
What kind of footwear does your dog have?  I have found that with the
Pawtectors I use, that they can actually overheat the dog when the temps are
too high and the most ideal temp is when it dips below 10 degrees.  I use no
other clothing for my dogs, nor have I used any for my predecessor dogs.  I
have a lab and they are actually pretty tough dogs.  I also live in the
uppermidwest-Wisconsin where it is nothing to be out working my girl in
temps dipping down into the 20 and sometimes 30 or even colder weather.  At
this point, I usually use the booties on her as it does 2 things; 1.
Protect her feet from the severely cold snow and the sharp ice that can cut
her paws, and 2.  Keep her feet warm as essentially, the booties trap the
heat in their body as they lose heat through their feet.  I am sure you will
get a variety of answers here, but as you said, there are many factors that
will essentially come into play here.  Good luck with the upcoming Ohio
winter!

Steve & Misha