[nagdu] dog winterization

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 17:12:05 UTC 2011

Robert,

I live in Nebraska.  I wouldn't say the weather here is harsh, but we
have some pretty cold days in the winter.  I think the wind chill was
minus 9 this morning.  The high temp is supposed to be around 12 today.
We had our first major snow yesterday, so winter is just getting started.

I have two dogs, one a lab and Boxer mix, does have a winter coat.  I
haven't gotten his coat out yet this winter though.  He's gained a bit
of extra weight from his lower activity level since I broke my foot.
His extra fat seems to be doing a good job of keeping him comfortable
outside.  He doesn't shiver.  anyway his fur is very short and fairly
thin, although it does have an undercoat.

My other dog is a lab mix.  Her fur is a bit longer and thicker, more
like a lab.  I have never put a coat on her.  I don't think I've ever
seen her shiver.

As long as your moving the temps you are describing shouldn't be a
problem at all.  If you need to be outside just standing around, say
waiting for a bus, for more than 5 or 10 minutes in very cold temps,
then I'd probably keep my dog moving a bit.

HTH
Julie