[nagdu] Request for Reasonable Accommodation

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 02:02:06 UTC 2011

Sheila,

Well, the confusion comes because of the differences between the ADA and
the Fair Housing Act, which covers housing but not places of public
accommodation or employment or...

So puppy Zay, as DD's new companion dog, has nothing to do with the ADA
but because of his prior "prescription" in the form of a letter from his
doctor is covered for reasonable accommodation for housing. This does
not mean he can take her into the grocery store or stuff like that,
where Mitzi goes to do her work as a service dog.

Mitzi and Zay then can be said to be equal in terms of housing under the
FHA... It is only in places of public accommodation outside our home
that the difference becomes legally relevant because of my disability
and Mitzi's training to do work for me.

For that matter, DD could not up and take Mitzi into a store with him
because he is not disabled. I am the one who has the rights with her.
And, of course, the responsibilities that go with those rights: Her good
health, cleaninliness, flea protection and good behavior.

But both of them can legally live with us.

Does that make any sense? /grin/

Tami