[nagdu] owner training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Dec 9 18:38:47 UTC 2011

Cindy,

I understand what you are saying and no it doesn't trivialize anything.
actually I think much too often owner training a guide dog is labeled as
some sort of magical or awe inspiring thing.  I don't think it is.  It
is a load of work, but it's not magical. *smile*

I think there are five areas of training necessary to make a good guide
dog.  Three of them overlap with any dog living in peace with humans.
The five areas are: socialization, house manners, basic obedience, guide
training and advanced skills.  The vast majority of what it takes to
make a good guide is in the first three catagories.  Teaching the guide
skills themselves is one of the easier parts in my opinion.

JMO
Julie