[nagdu] beginning to use a cane

Julie Phillipson jbrew48 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 22 20:21:14 UTC 2011

I believe it is very difficult for anyone to accept something about
themselves.  I think everyone has something that they are not comfortable
with in their lives.  It takes time and sometimes a lot of work to get to
the point where you can let that go and be what it is and accept it.  There
is a lot of emotional stuff to go through with any of it.  Taking the step
to admit that one needs a mobility assistance device whether it is a white
cane or a support cane or a wheelchair is all the same.  Realizing that you
need it is half the battle and the other half is dealing with the feelings
of inadequacy, self consciousness, and embarrassment.  I think those
feelings lessen in time because eventually you will get to the point when
you realize it is helpful to you and who cares what anyone else thinks.
Building confidence in yourself is one of the best things any of us can do,
and it sure helps to surround yourself with positive role models like people
in NFB or another supportive group.  If you never let yourself take the
first steps  of learning how to use a cane and then working with it until
you are good with it you are only hurting yourself.  Sure it is going to
bring up negative feelings in other family members but you are cheating
yourself if you let them control what you do.  Let them deal with their own
feelings and don't let them try to make you responsible for how they feel.
If In my opinion we act like a second class citizen then that is how others
will treat us.
Julie Phillipson