[nagdu] beginning to use a cane

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 22:52:37 UTC 2011

Sheila,

Well said! That's my attitude, too, so that when others are trying to
make sure I notice that I am less than human and not fit to be in their
space breathing their air, I simply continue to believe I am human and
behave accordingly. In other words, i just go around being me without
reference to what other people think I am. If I get a chance, I smile
brightly at whichever fool is making the point to all around the there
is a nonhuman presence who does not belong there. If it's appropriate, I
even toss off a cheery greeting or parting or something. "Have a nice day!"

I do not do this because I am a nice person. I do this because I know
that it is the meanest thing in the world I can do to someone like that,
especially if they are carrying on this way in public. /lol/ My response
to them, as if they are just people like me alters the attitudes,
expressions, etc. of the captive audience. I can even feel the change in
how everyone is breathing. So I maintain my cheery smile on a vengeance
is sweet basis and just go on my way, sharing wry chitchat with those
who say something to me in a respectful, courteous or kind tone. My work
here is done!

Beauty of all that corporate experience I started on when I was so
young. One does learn to play power games to win. Teehee.

Okay, I'm an obnoxious twit, but I am *not* a second class citizen as a
woman or as a blind woman. Though it's funny. I'm reading a discussion
on another list about people who grab blind people. As always, I am
shocked by how many blind people believe that we should appreciate that
people are so helpful that they will grab us forcibly to lead us where
they think we should go. To me, since that is not considered an
appropriate way for people to treat people, I do not believe it is an
acceptable way for people to treat me. It took me a bit to learn to
adapt my usual methods of both verbal and nonverbal communication once
others started identifying me as "not people," but by now I've got a
working repertoire of responses to use for any occasion to ensure these
sorts grasp that what they are doing is not okay and that I am not
grateful. Besides, if I need help, I will ask for it, and I will ask for
the specific help I need. If I do not ask for help, then it can be
safely assumed I do not need help because I've got it covered. Thank you
very much. /lol/

We will just not talk about people who try to help by grabbing the cane
or the handle on the guide dog harness... Oh, I think not! What is wrong
with people who do that, anyway. Oh, never mind. /smile/

Tami