[nagdu] beginning to use a cane

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 23:08:52 UTC 2011

Brenda,

A lot does depend on the people around you who are changing in how they
treat you and communicating your status from their point of view all the
time, loud and clear. Standing up to all that for any given individual
depends on them and on the others around them, too. I was really
fortunate to have some good friends who took my vision loss in stride
and since I was working with them and engaged in volunteer activities
with them and also really good friends on a social basis with them, they
made it easy for me to keep my grip on myself because they were just
there being sane while the rest of the world went, from my point of
view, stark raving mad. Good grief!

The negative impact of the spouse was diminished by his work hours and
frequent travel; otherwise, I'm not sure I would have made it. I could
not believe how difficult it became to get the economic issues I faced
as I was losing vision -- like how do I get the tools to keep working
and earning a living -- so that I could divorce him without ending up
unable to keep a roof over my head... He was also spending my savings no
matter how I hid it or what steps I took to keep him out of it... He
could simply not pay the rent and guess where I would have to go to deal
with that? Incredible! Also, I had this much more serious disability
that I was finally getting on top of and needed time to conquer, as well
as some more modern medical options than were available way out there in
the sticks. So...

Yeah, it's easy now to say that I just don't accept that I am not
people. I had some good circumstances to help me with that during the
early beginning stages of that adjustment. But the communication on all
levels that I was of no account whatsoever, should have no expectations
and no rights, should just stay out of the way and not bother people by
going places with my white cane and... Unbelievable! Sooner or later, I
just stopped noticing it, but when you're not used to that sort of thing
It's impossible to just not hear it and be affected by it.

When the VR system turns out to be all about withholding information and
training and tools while heavily reinforcing the notion that you are
less than the less, especially when it starts to impact your career and
earnings, this is not helpful. I'm still having people from out there
come to me with their stories and wondering what they are to do, and it
gets really tiring. Not because of them. I am glad they can find a safe
place to confide and get better information, but... Seeing how it
impacts them all around is just heartbreaking. And infuriating.

I am glad you have found your way to acceptance and strength! I think
that once a person regains that stability from within themselves, that's
way more than half the battle. Others can no longer define your reality
for you, because you know what it is. And who you are! /grin/

Tami