[nagdu] things that go bump in the night

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 24 02:15:46 UTC 2011

Good for your clever guide dog! Dd an I still go around about my
insistence -- and Mitzi's -- about sticking rigidly to proper procedure
in parking lots as we do at street crossings. He can see if it's safe
for us or not, sure, but... I want to keep our sense and skills honed
for when we are not with him. My big thing is straight lines using the
shortest distance between two points when crossing a traffic area. He
will angle using a visual target for a shorter distance to where we are
actually going. He is almost certainly right, and there would be no
danger in following him. However, I want to stay in the habit of
listening for myself and following my guide dog as she uses her senses
to find the best route for us through potential danger zones.

Then again, she's had opportunity to show me that she can be pretty
clever in dragging a confused, frightened and irritable blind woman
around a crazy fool driver trying to back over us in a parking lot. If I
had my cane, I would just haul off and beat on their car with it to get
their attention... I know that because I have had that opportunity, too.
/lol/ Everybody was shocked when I told my tale, since apparently I was
supposed to have worried if I might have dinged up the car and thus made
the driver mad.  Um... When the car is about to back over you and you
don't have space to dodge around quickly why would you worry the other
guy might get mad at you?

So you just never know what will happen in parking lots, that's what I'm
saying. /grin/

Tami